The Boston Red Sox destroyed the St. Louis Cardinals 8-1. Here are my thoughts.
– If you want a quick summary of the game, this video will suffice. (BTW the Red Sox are the train)
– Adam Wainwright, you’re the ace of this staff. You got outclassed tonight in the biggest game of the season. Just a poor performance.
– Yadi, I love your energy and your knowledge of the game. However, you let Wainwright call for a pop fly in the bottom of the 2nd that lead to 2 more runs to the already large Red Sox lead. You have to assert yourself and take that catch.
– Pete Kozma. The only reason you are in the game is because you’re suppose to be a great defensive player. 2 errors in the first 2 innings doesn’t scream “Amazing defensive player.”
– David Freese, if you want that big contract this offseason, you must come through in the clutch. We all know you can do it. With 1 out and the base loaded, you hit into a 1-2-3 double play. Not even a deep fly ball? All you could muster was a weak chopper to the pitcher? C’mon man. The game was unofficially over at that point.
However, the great thing about this game.
IT’S ONE GAME.
There are potentially 6 games left. It’s not a big deal. Yes, 9 out of the last 10 World Series winners won Game 1. However, the 1 was the New York Yankees in 2009 and they got blown out 6-1 in Game 1. So there is proof that you can lose big in Game 1 and still win the World Series. Just put this game behind you. Carlos Beltran will play tomorrow but if he doesn’t, Jon Jay has to step up and show he can produce on the big stage.
Contact Chris Flanagan at [email protected]