The St. Louis Rams were reeling. After 2 blowout losses to the Dallas Cowboys and the San Francisco 49ers, the Rams needed to get a win. Luckily for them the Jacksonville Jaguars were in town. Despite a slow start, the Rams were able to score 17 unanswered points in the second quarter to win 34-20. Here are some of my thoughts.
- Rushing attack; meet the St. Louis Rams. Rams fans are so glad that you two have finally met. 143 yards rushing on the ground. Zac Stacy, the rookie from Vanderbilt, carried the ball 14 times for 78 yards. Daryl Richardson also got in on the action with 13 rushes for 48 yards. 143 total yards rushing for the St. Louis Rams is a season high. We’ll find out if this was because the Jaguars are really bad or if the Rams finally figured out how to run the ball.
- Hats off to the defense today for creating 3 turnovers. That was key in the victory today, especially the pick 6 in the first quarter.
- Tavon Austin had 3 catches for 32 yards which were all in the second quarter. After that, he was MIA. He was targeted 6 times but he didn’t even get an attempt to rush the ball. I think you need to find more ways to get Austin the ball. He is key to success for the Rams this season.
- I know this has nothing to do with the Rams but it’s disappointing to see St. Louis native Blaine Gabbert struggling so much in the NFL. He was outstanding with the Missouri Tigers so to see him this bad is just sad.
- The Rams will play the Houston Texans next Sunday. The Texans are not that good. This is a winnable game for the Rams. Then the Rams face the Carolina Panthers in Charlotte before they play the Seahawks on Monday Night Football. If the Rams want to turn this season around, they need to win the next 3 games. I believe that can be done but it will take a rushing effort like they had on Sunday to win all three games.